Monday, July 13, 2009

Comics Countdown . . . FOR JUSTICE!

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist. I know its in the name of the book, and it is just part of the DC Superhero milieu, but having characters regularly just shout random stuff about JUSTICE cracks me up every time. At least Cry for Justice features three specific types of justice - Tiny Torture Justice, Insufferable Hal Jordan Justice, and Gorilla Justice!

After having mercilessly made fun of a book that I actually didn't hate - I didn't love it either, but I found it to be an average cape comic with a couple of questionable dialogue choices that it made it seem worse than it really was - I must now confess that I am terrible about doing these Comics Countdown posts. It was easy the first couple of weeks, because there were a ton of books I was buying that I was excited to write about, but lately I have had too little time to write and frankly not a lot to write about. I am still going to try to keep it going, but it may skip a week here and there depending on output, etc. So without further ado, here is a ten-item countdown of books spanning the past two week. Additionally, this week I am going to try to keep my thoughts on each issue to a single sentence, just to see if I can....

#10. Uncanny X-Men # 513: Matt Fraction's mutant riots sneak onto the list by virtue of a weak couple of weeks and very nice Dodson art.

#9. Irredeemable # 4: Waid's evil Superman analogue causes destruction (in a fun way), but the story better start moving a little faster, or this one is due to plummet.

#8. Invincible Iron Man # 15: An overlooked storyline in which Tony Stark loses his real superpower - his intellect - provides some surprisingly touching moments to make the list.

# 7. The Boys # 32: The "We Gotta Go Now" arc lagged, but the last couple of issues have put this book back on track as a monthly must-read.

# 6. Green Lantern # 43: I picked this up for the Mahnke art, but it was a really impressive story that has me anxious for Blackest Night, which I was previously on the fence about - kudos, Johns & Co.

# 5. Greek Street # 1: Not as strong a start as I had hoped, but I'll stick around for a few more issues as the potential is definitely there for something epic.

# 4. Wednesday Comics # 1: Its almost not fair for this to be part of the countdown, because it feels like a thing apart unto itself, but its a very exciting and entertaining project that I hope succeeds wildly.

# 3. Unwritten # 3: As much as I loved the previous issues, this one is where Carey and Gross really hit their stride - plus, I love me some Frankenstein.

# 2. Captain America: Reborn # 1: So it goes (if you don't get that reference, get thee to a library and pick up Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, which parts of this issue owe a LOT to).

# 1. Batman and Robin # 2: Morrison and Quitely - pretty damn near unbeatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment