Wednesday, June 10, 2009

DC Comics and Chocolate Milkshakes

The bad news: no new comics for me today. No chance to get by my local shop to pick them up, due to . . .

The good news: going to see Art Brut at Schuba's tonight. I've loved this band for a few years now. Saw them at the 2006 Pitchfork Music Festival, where they were very good, but as enjoyable as festivals can be it is always better to see a band at their own show in a smaller venue like Schuba's. Hopefully Eddie Argos and the boys will be in fine form tonight, the third of a week-long residency.

I like most of their stuff as it is, but I must say I will be a bit disappointed if they don't play "DC Comics and Chocolate Milkshakes," from their new album, "Art Brut v. Satan." Before that song, I never knew Argos enjoyed his comics fix as much as I do, but I should have guessed. His cleverly observational spoken-not-sung lyrics including tongue-in-cheek delusions of grandeur ("Formed a Band", featuring the line "We want to be the band that writes the song that makes Israel and Palestine get along"), high school crushes ("Emily Kane"), and exuberance at actually finding a lady-friend ("Good Weekend," where he exuberantly extols "I've seen her naked, TWICE!!!"), all placed over a simple yet satisfying DIY art punk aesthetic, fit nicely into the cool-by-virtue-of-being-not-cool paradigm that we comics enthusiasts like to imagine ourselves occupying. Hell, its a small venue, so maybe I'll even lure him into a conversation about Batman and Robin, Final Crisis, or the upcoming Blackest Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment