Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Omniboo, or Chunks of the Good Stuff


I can't really give a rational reason for it, but I love Omnibuses. (Omnibu? Omnibi? What the hell is the plural of Omnibus, anyway?) There is something about getting a massive chunk of comics in a ridiculously thick hardcover package that I find awesome. I would much rather buy the Marvel Omnibus of the Fantastic Four, for example, than pick up the three or four Marvel Masterworks editions that collect the same issues. The only thing that drives me crazy about these editions is that they really seem to be here today, gone tomorrow, at least where Marvel is concerned. And while I spend more than any sane man should on comics, I can't always afford to dish out for one of those bad boys right when it comes out, usually at the hefty price tag of $99 (some of the "smaller" ones are $75). I know the Omniboo must be expensive to keep in print, and probably have a relatively limted audience, but I wish they would remain just a bit more available. Some of them, like the one collecting Grant Morrison's New X-Men run, are now prohibitively expensive on e-bay, where I've seen them sell for upwards of $200. While DC puts out less of these types of collections than I'd like, at least most of theirs seem to remain available for much longer on average. C'mon Marvel, there's got to be a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment