Saturday, August 22, 2009

Big Stack o' Comics III: Muddlin' Through

Lots of ground to cover in this post, and lots of ground left to cover in catching up on my weekly books as well. Lets get started with the issue-by-issue musings:

Tiny Titans # 19: I get this book mostly for my daughter, but I make sure to give it a read on my own before sharing it with her, and its always a lot of fun. Silly stuff, but if you have young children (or want to re-capture some of the fun of childhood), you can't do much better than this.

Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers # 4: Similar to Tiny Titans (though perhaps for a slightly older audience), this mini-series has been one of the most fun books on the stands. Seeing a bunch of the most famous animals of the Marvel Universe take on Thanos (and win!) - and the creative teams ability to sell it convincingly - was a real treat. I'm glad we'll be seeing more of this group in the future.

Viking # 3: This over-sized book is a real value at $2.99, for the art alone. Nic Klein's work here is simply gorgeous, making great use of shadows and other hues to set the mood and convey the action contained herein. The story has been far out-paced by the art thus far, but that started to change a bit this issue, with the characters taking better shape, and the events becoming more compelling, meaning I'm actually starting to care about what's going on here rather than staring at the pretty pictures. Still the second-best Viking comic on the shelves, but well worth a look.

Blackest Night - Superman # 1: Not bad, but not great. Probably my least favorite Blackest Night tie-in so far, but maybe that's because I'm not all that steeped in the recent Superman mythos.

X-Men Legacy # 227: Another auto-pilot X-tale from Mike Carey. This book is about one month away from disappearing from my list altogether (and I give a LOT of leeway to the X-books).

BPRD 1947 # 1 and 2: I've never gotten into Hellboy and his associated titles. Just never enjoyed the few of them I flipped through all that much, didn't really enjoy the movie, never did it for me. I picked these up solely for Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba, and boy, am I glad I did. These were surprisingly good reads, with lots of creepy atmosphere, a compellingly spooky story, and yeah, some fine drawing by Moon and Ba. I actually liked these so much I'll probably be picking up some of the older BPRD trades as well.

Batman - Streets of Gotham # 3: I had really hoped this title would be something more like Gotham Central than just another Bat-book, but alas, this one centers firmly on Batman and Robin. That issue aside, this is pretty good for what it is. If you enjoyed Dini and Nguyen on Detective, this won't disappoint.

Blackest Night - Batman # 1: This issue is everything a tie-in mini should be. It's firmly focused on the Batman family, and shows how the big events in Blackest Night specifically impact the Bat-corner of the DCU. Plus, as an added bonus, Deadman plays a major role. We see the relationship between Dick and Damian, how they are still dealing with the absence of Bruce, and how they deal with the concept of death generally. A great first issue of a solid mini, with nice scripting by Tomasi and Kubert-like art from Syaf. Highly recommended for Bat-fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment