Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Big Stack o' Comics VI and Random Thoughts


Some random thoughts before I continue to work my way through my back-log of issues (a back-log which will grow again tomorrow). Life is tough, so I like to focus on the stuff that makes me happy, so here's some random positivity for the comics world:

- I am very happy to hear that Kieron Gillen is going to be writing Thor. Bold choice by Marvel. I have been really enjoying his excellent indie, Phonogram, and it is nice to see him get such a high-profile gig.

- Is there anything more fun in superhero comics than a well-executed fight scene? Scientifically speaking, no.

- I have not read a lot of Marvel from the '70s, but man, everytime I do get into some of that it usually some fun, crazy stuff. Looking through old comics reminds me why, even though I continue to read more and more DC, when push comes to shove, I have to say "Make Mine Marvel!"

- Writing this blog leads to me wanting to write more, both on this blog and creatively. And I count that as a very good thing.

Now, back to the stack:

JSA v. Kobra # 3: Kramer's art continues to be excellent. Trautman's story stumbles just a bit here, as this is the first time this series has felt like a run-of-the-mill superhero comic. But its a well-executed and visually exciting run-of-the-mill superhero comic.

Red Herring # 1: Three words. Bond. Phillip Bond. The story is mostly set-up, but it ain't bad either.

Daredevil # 500: One thing modern Marvel has been doing oh-so-right lately is their anniversary issues. This one is no exception, as everything in this over-sized package is worth your time. Brubaker & Lark's lead story makes me wish I had been reading Brubaker's run from the start. Andy Diggle and Billy Tan's preview of things to come was intriguing. The Frank Miller reprint was mind-blowing - somehow I always forget exactly how good Miller's Daredevil was until it sneaks up on me and wallops me in the head. But the real gem here is a new story by Ann Nocenti and David Aja. Please, please Marvel, do whatever it takes to get Ms. Nocenti back doing more regular work. Or at least have the decency to collect her previous run on DD in a nice Omnibus or set of trades.

Wolverine - Weapon X # 4: Jason Aaron writes bad-ass like no-one else, and Wolverine is the ultimate mainstream Marvel bad-ass. Seriously, though, Aaron really knows what makes Wolvie tick, and writes the best solo Wolverine I've seen in a LONG time. Ron Garney's straight-from-pencils art is pretty good too. And the two-page fight scene between Wolverine and one of the new Weapon X soldiers is just this side of spectacular.

Punisher # 8: No offense to Tan Eng Huat, but I really miss Jerome Opena on this title. He was just a much better fit for the gritty world of Frank Castle. Rick Remender's story here is good, but not up to his best work on the title. It was fun to see Frank face off against a simulated old-school Avengers lineup, though.

Hellblazer # 258: John Constantine really is a right bastard. I am very impressed with Milligan's work on this title so far. Hellblazer is one of those series that gets overlooked and taken for granted, but Milligan deserves a lot of credit for placing it back in the upper echelon of Vertigo titles I look forward to each month.

No comments:

Post a Comment