Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bow to the Master

I'm usually more of a writer guy than an artist guy, but sometimes you just have to sit back and give credit to a true master of comic book artistry. In this case, I'm talking about Bill Sienkiewicz. Bill's work has been blowing my mind since I was a kid - it always captivated me when I ran across it, even before I was old enough to even pay attention to who the creators on a book were, because it was so utterly different than the other comic book art out there. I remember poring over his DD graphic novel with Frank Miller, Love and War, again and again, trying to figure out how he did that.

Today I finally got around to reading last week's Spirit #1, the relaunch by DC under its new First Wave imprint. The main story was good, with great art by Moritat, but the Sienkiewicz black and white back-up just blew me away, and was undoubtedly worth the price of admission even without the lead story. His art looks even better in black and white than in color - its atmospheric, moody, and more expressive and evocative than almost anything out there today. Here's a sample - take a look, and bow to the master:

No comments:

Post a Comment