Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I'm back... again

So for a large variety of reasons, I haven't done this for a while. The long and short of it is I get busy at work, then when I get less busy I get lazy, then when I get less lazy I think of other things to do, then I pretty much forget that this blog exists and it all becomes a self-perpetuating cycle that stops me from doing something I really want to do. Either that, or it was all an evil plan concocted by Darkseid.

But now, for the one or two readers (read, people who accidentally clicked on this site while searching for something else) I may have left, I'm back with a renewed commitment to updating this site regularly. I know, I know, you've all heard this before, but this time it COUNTS!

To that end, though, I'll be making a few changes in the goals and format of this space. These changes are designed to allow me to keep doing this without abandoning it (for the third time), while also hopefully gaining some new readers and building a more stable presence.

The first major change is that I'm going to expand the coverage of this site to all pop culture, not just comics. The primary focus will still be comics, followed closely by music, with occasional posts on books without pictures, films, and television. In short, if I read it, listen to it, or watch it, its fair game. This expanded focus will allow me to say what I want to say on a wider variety of topics, and give me something to write about at times when I really don't have anything comics-related worth saying.

The second change is that I'm going to abandon all pretense of reviewing, writing about, or in any way covering newly released comics each week. Its just impossible for me to do that in a timely manner. By the time I make my way to the comics shop, pick up that week's books, read them all, and write something cogent about them, they're all pretty much old news anyway. And one tough week where I don't make it to the store until Saturday and don't have time to read everything until the next Wednesday pretty much blows the whole thing out of the water. Plus, I'd rather be writing about the stuff that I am really into at the moment rather than trying to figure out what the hell I want to say about this month's totally unremarkable issue of Batman, for example.

Finally, I am going to try to post something every weekday, and sometimes on weekends. Even if I'm swamped, even if that something is just a link to something interesting I found, or some song lyrics that have been running through my head, or a quick paragraph about a book, writer, artist, or band you should be paying more attention to. I'll try to make it more substantial than that, most of the time, but it may not always happen.

So here's a start. If you like comics, even just a little, tiny, insignificant bit... hell, even if you don't like comics but don't hate them, either... you should be paying attention to Paul Pope. His work is amazing, and like nothing else out there available today. Read this interview to learn more and see some samples of his work.

Oh yeah, and if anyone out there knows where to score a copy of Pope's art book, Pulphope, without breaking the bank, drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment